Ice Treasures

by Amy on May 21, 2008

ice treasures

The weather is already heating up and I’ve started dipping into my summer bag of tricks. This last weekend, we hunted for treasures frozen in ice.

Natalie had specifically requested diamonds and shells. We ended up using some glass marbles from the craft store, including some clear “diamonds” and a variety of shells too.

I like to freeze my ice block in layers, so there are treasures hidden throughout. I ended up with three layers in this one.

We used a variety of treasure-excavating tools: salt, spray bottles with water, droppers + warm water, and toothbrushes. The girls easily worked away at this for 45 minutes, till every last treasure was collected.

Other fun treasures to freeze: coins, plastic animals, polished rocks

You can also freeze individual treasures in ice cubes for quicker treasure-hunting adventures.

Using colored water in the spray bottles is fun too!

I know we will be doing this activity many times this summer!

Happy playing!

angela May 21, 2008 at 1:07 pm

okay, I need to make some room in my freezer to try this, L will LOVE it!

Linds May 21, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I love this idea! A great idea for a hot summer day!
Thanks!

Rumeysa May 23, 2008 at 11:16 am

This is a perfect idea for my little son. Because he’s very interested in playing with water and ice.

Becky May 25, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Thank you so much for this idea! We just did it today and my kids *loved* it and are already looking forward to the next time!

Julie May 27, 2008 at 9:40 am

What a fantastic idea for the summer! My three-year-old son and I will definitely have to try this one!
I found your blog from a link on The Crafty Crow. I’ve added you to my Google Reader and look forward to reading more great ideas from you!
Julie

jessica May 29, 2008 at 7:55 am

Found this project through the Crafty Crow.
Thanks for sharing this, I think I’m going to do this activity with my son’s preschool. Can’t wait.

Robin Rivers May 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm

This is absolutely brilliant.
I can’t wait to try this with my daughter and the neighbour kids.

Robin Rivers May 30, 2008 at 1:09 pm

This is absolutely brilliant.
I can’t wait to try this with my daughter and the neighbour kids.

lee June 1, 2008 at 6:30 pm

I love it!

Brit June 14, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I can’t wait to try this with my girls…and I usually don’t get excited about “craft time.”

Kelly June 18, 2008 at 12:02 pm

What about individual items frozen in ice cube trays, that you dive for in the pool?

Sherry Wescott July 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm

What a wonderful Idea!! I am definitely going to try this! Thank you!!!!
Sherry

natalie October 8, 2008 at 11:47 am

i love it! such a great idea! thank you!!!

Staci October 9, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Thanks for sharing this idea. My sons will love it. :)

Miko's Girl March 6, 2009 at 6:35 am

The Pink and Green Mama pointed me to this website and I LOVE IT! My girls have recently been playing with ice chunks they have found in buckets in their fort. They’ve done experiments to see how long it takes to melt. This idea is fabulous and will be put to use!

Danielle June 30, 2009 at 7:30 am

What a great idea! :) My little one would love this… off to figure out what to use! :) Thanks!!!

Trish June 30, 2009 at 10:22 am

I am so excited to try this, but I am a little confused on how you freeze in layers??!
You freeze so of the items in a little bit of water, then when that is frozen you add some more water to the container and items?! I love your blog by the way!

jo 戎嶋 July 7, 2009 at 2:19 pm

we did this last year and my little one loved it, he was asking to do it in the winter too! now the weather has warmed up we can start doing them again – if the rain ever stops that os!

Shawn July 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Just letting you know that this was such a huge hit at our house that we did it TWICE over the weekend. My goodness … they LOVE IT. Thank you so much.

A Magical Childhood July 21, 2009 at 9:43 am

I love this idea! We’ve been doing lots of ice crafts but this is a new one to me. I’ll add this to the list of things to try this week. Thanks! :)
~Alicia

sandra407 September 9, 2009 at 7:49 am

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

La Châtelaine March 19, 2010 at 1:48 am

Oh, quelle bonne idée ! Mon fiston qui est passionné par les dinosaures serait ravi de découvrir des os cachés dans la glace. Je vais bientôt essayer… Merci !
Wouh, what a good idea ! My little son is really fan of Dinosaures, and he will be so happy to discover bones hidden in an ice cube. I will try soon. Thank you very much for this idea.

anupama June 5, 2010 at 2:34 am

Love this idea. Esp. becoz both my 3 year old and 9 year old have been taking ice from the ice tray and running around. I would use this idea in an ice tray and they could use each of the above said for each little cube and have a race to collect all the treasures. Very creative indeed.

genny April 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

Love this idea! Have two tubs in the freezer full of treasures right now! :)

KIRAN May 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm

wow….this is really cool coz. my son gets bored off playing very easily so i can gve him dis new thing 2 do…
thanx

Jill Reiter July 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I just shared this on my FB page. We LOVED this idea at my place. I’m not sure which my kids like better, coming up with what to freeze or getting the stuff out of ice. Thank you for being so creative!

anna May 21, 2012 at 6:22 am

we did this one too, also a big hit!!

Nicole June 28, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I did this with my daycare kiddos during pirate theme week, and they had a blast!! we were inside since it was raining so we had tubs underneath it. It took my kiddos over a hour to do it. Definitely will be doing it again!!

Amy July 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

So glad your kids enjoyed ice treasures – what a perfect treasure-hunting idea for a pirate theme! I love how engaged kids are with this activity.