New Placemats

by Amy on July 9, 2008

Well, we have been trapped in the house today – incredible heat and terrible smoke. It actually looks foggy outside from the low smoke. Gross! One of the things that we did to keep busy was to make some new placemats for the girls.

They drew on some pieces of muslin with fabric markers:

placemats1

placemats2

Then, there was much fun to be had rummaging through my tub of fabric and choosing just the right prints. Delaney went with reds and Natalie chose greens, but only because I did not have enough turquoise fabrics! The girls manned the sewing machine pedal, too.

Natalie’s tribute to the squirrel that frequents our bird feeder:

placemats3

And Delaney’s abstract art, plus her first time writing all the letters of her name!

placemats4

I guess I better think of a dinner worthy of these super-cute placemats. Don’t you think these would make great gifts, too?

Happy playing today and stay cool!

Lindsay July 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm

What a cute idea. We have been stuck inside again because of the smoke too. I agree YUCK!

Julie K in Taiwan July 9, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Gorgeous mats, and how precious that you have her first time name written saved for all time ;) I think they would be fun gifts.

Melissa July 9, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I love it!!! They are beautiful. I’d love more details on how you made them. They’d make wonderful gifts!!!

April July 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm

just precious !!

Laura July 9, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I love these. I need to pick up some fabric markers and give this a try myself. Thanks for the idea!

angela July 11, 2008 at 5:10 am

What a super-cute, fabulous, easy-to-achieve, good-use-of-scrapbag-fabric idea! I’m all over it! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

Jessica July 11, 2008 at 6:10 pm

that’s a great idea. Very cute and creative. I think they would make wonderful gifts for family or friends

sharon July 13, 2008 at 10:49 am

LOVE IT!! I really want to make them, I was heading to Joannes today anyway, think I will add these supplies. THANKS ;-)

Wendi Gratz July 16, 2008 at 3:58 am

I love this idea! One helpful tip for drawing on fabric – fuse some freezer paper to the back of the fabric first to help stabilize it. It peels right off when you’re ready to sew and it helps keeps little artists from getting frustrated at the “wiggliness” of their canvas.

Nature Mama July 16, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Oh I absolutely LOVE this!!! Fantastic idea :) I’ve got to get me some fabric markers *grin* Artwork placemats here we come :)

Shanen July 17, 2008 at 10:07 pm

This idea is brilliant. I am not very crafty though. Do you think you might be able to email be sme more detailed directions? Thank you

Leslie July 21, 2008 at 1:33 pm

i loved this so much that i have been hunting down the materials for days. Last night i had my kids draw the pictures and they turned out better than i could have dreamed. Now i am getting set to assemble. Thanks for the inspiration. I hope they are something they will still have someday when they grow up!

gfcfmom October 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I LOVE your blog…It is so inspiring! Thanks for all the ideas.

Zoe July 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Found your blog through your paint writing bag on Pinterest. AWSOME blog! Great Ideas!