Alphabet Crayons

by Amy on August 5, 2008

alphabet_crayons3Laura over at My Montessori Journey sent me an e-mail wondering if the Letter Ice silicone molds would work for making crayons. I had been meaning to try this, so Natalie and I did a test run this afternoon.

I peeled the paper off the crayons, and Natalie broke them into small pieces. We filled each letter with one or two colors – each letter used 2-3 regular size crayons. By the way, use regular crayons, not washable, or you will end up with a layer of clear wax on the top of your crayon.

alphabet_crayons1

Put the molds on a cookie sheet and then into the oven. I set my oven at 275 and it took around 20 minutes for the crayons to melt completely. Remove from the oven to cool. Or, if you are making multi-color crayons, just turn off the oven and let the crayons cool inside. If you move them, the melted wax moves around and the crayons sometimes come out looking brown, not swirled with colors.

alphabet_crayons2

Once mine were somewhat solid, I put them in the freezer to speed up the cooling process (because I am impatient!). However, I did break a few when I removed them from the molds (H, N, S, U and W). This is probably because they were a bit brittle from the freezer. And maybe I wasn’t taking my time, like I should have. :) There is no sticking, though, and they come out easily.

Laura mentioned these would make great birthday gifts, spelling out the birthday child’s name. I think I will also make a set to donate to the girls’ preschool and kindergarten classrooms for their art centers.

alphabet_crayons4

Kate August 5, 2008 at 5:16 pm

How fun! I love the idea of spelling out a child’s name.

Nature Mama August 5, 2008 at 5:32 pm

That is super cool! I love the idea of giving them as gifts :) I always enjoy stopping by!

ToddleBits August 5, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Egads! This is so cool! Thanks for the great idea!

onemotherslove August 5, 2008 at 9:09 pm

I LOVE THOSE!!! So can these trays be used for ice again after crayons or are they now forever crayon molds?

jessica August 6, 2008 at 7:43 am

o.k, I must do this with all by broken yucky crayons from school this year! If I come back with alphabet shaped crayons I might just be the coolest person in the whole school (and the kids will love it, too!)

Amy @ Let's Explore August 7, 2008 at 8:11 am

Thanks for all the nice comments! They are cool, huh? :)
ToddleBits — The molds are easy to clean and reuse for ice and food. I had very little crayon residue left – I warmed my trays back up in the oven for just a couple minutes, wiped out the softened crayon, then popped the trays in the dishwasher. They came out great!

Mommy Cracked August 8, 2008 at 1:30 pm

These are fantastic!!

mommyknows August 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Too fun! I am going to give these a try.

Tina August 10, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I was reading Laura’s post and had to come check this out. That’s great that you tried the project after getting Laura’s question. Can I ask how the letter crayons work for actual coloring? They are totally cute, but are they easy to hold? Do they break easily? Maybe some letters would be more durable than others?

Melissa August 11, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I love this! These molds are definitely going on O’s Christmas list!

Marie @ Make and Takes August 13, 2008 at 10:14 am

Love it! I’ve been wondering the same thing. I bought some flower silicone molds to do the same thing. Glad to know they work. And that Alphabet is Awesome!

Marie @ Make and Takes August 13, 2008 at 10:15 am

Lani ~ The Wooden Porch August 14, 2008 at 3:10 pm

That is so neat! We have a million extra crayons laying around the house. Thanks for the great idea!!

rachelle August 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm

this is so so cute! love it.

Kati September 7, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Love it! Now to find some ABC molds!

Jaden, Steamy Kitchen September 22, 2008 at 6:25 pm

wow, this is so cool! off to find these molds online.

Carey December 21, 2008 at 2:31 pm

They came out so cute! Ive made crayons like this before, except i used those aluminum cupcake papers in a muffin tin, and they came out looking like colored peanut butter cups. Very cute!

kacey January 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I ordered these a couple of days ago and they just arrived, and we have already made a few batches. I LOVE THEM. My daughter is turning 3 in two weeks and we’re making crayon letters to spell out the names of all of her friends that are coming to the party, and we’ll give them out as favors along with little stacks of white construction paper.
My only suggestion….I have found it much easier to melt the crayons first and pour the melted wax right into the molds. Now if I could figure out a way to avoid the little holes and puckers that happen when the wax hardens, I’d be thrilled.
I really love this product, and thank you for the speedy delivery!

stacey September 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Kacey, have you tried gently tapping the molds against the counter to get rid of the air bubbles (this is obviously prior to putting in the oven)? I’m not sure if it will work with crayons, but thats the method for other things (like when making candy).

Kyrsten H. March 30, 2012 at 11:35 am

I did this, but can’t get my S out – I have tried more than 10 times – Any tips??

Rena August 26, 2009 at 7:07 am

I am doing this project to put in gift bags for the kids at our upcoming wedding. Since I don’t have broken pieces just sitting around, I purchased 48 boxes of crayons at the back to school sale at Walmart for 20 cents per box (they were the CraZart 24 count boxes):

I have the alphabet mold and also have a heart shaped mold to use (although, now, I think I probably only need 30 boxes to do alphabet plus several hearts per child – 10 kids total). I put them in the oven at 300 degrees and they melted fast! I was able to use roughly 1.5 – 2 crayons worth of pieces per letter (which resulted in letter crayons about 1/2 – 3/4 an inch thick). The shapes come out great so I was very pleased with that… however, because of the high wax content in the crayons, each letter had a thick layer of clear/yellowish wax on top. When you try to color with that side, it just comes off as clear wax onto the paper.

Boy, am I glad I kept my receipts! I will be returning the crayons to Walmart and hope I have better luck with the Crayola brand crayons instead.

Erica April 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow, that is so cute! We made these crayons with a regular muffin tin, but these are super cute! I might have to look for some of those trays for next time around. Thanks for sharing!

Aimee September 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I love it. I’m linking up very soon on my Early Literacy blog. Thanks for sharing!

chantell March 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

So where do you get the alphabet molds again?

Amy March 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Hi Chantell! I know that Amazon carries them, as well as other online stores. Here is the link to the Amazon product page:
Alphabet Letter Ice @Amazon

Kyrsten H. March 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

Hobby Lobby has them too

Theresa March 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

This is a fantastic idea. Can’t wait to make gifts with the crayon letters. Do you have any idea if one can purchase the silicone bake set with small case letters?

Rachel January 14, 2012 at 4:32 am

What a fabulous idea. You have such a great site that is full of fun ideas! Thank you for sharing.

Rachel from Rachelsvittles@wordpress.com

Kyrsten H. March 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

HELP – We had the same idea & then I came across this post today – I got all my letter Crayons out except the S. It keeps breaking. Hubby & I have tried more than 10 times to get the S out. Any tips for getting it out. I just left them on the counter for a couple of hours the rest came out with in three times. Sraying oil on the mold did not help…

Amy April 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Hi Kyrsten – I wish I had an idea for you for getting that S out in one piece. We had a similar problem with our S and a few other letters. If it breaks in only one place, maybe you could use some melted crayon to “glue” it back together? Let me know if you come up with something that works! :)

sydney October 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

can you use just regular metal pansor do they have to be in molds?

radhika October 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

which brand can be used? which is the best… also can oil pastels be used.
or do we use wax crayons.

Amy October 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Quality wax crayons work the best. Avoid using washable crayons – they leave a layer of clear wax on the top. I don’t think pastels will work for this type of melting project. Hope that helps!

Mother nature December 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

awesome can i use things other than letter shapes

Abby December 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

were do you get those ABC trays or do you have to use them or is there another way???

christina January 4, 2013 at 6:37 am

Just make sure that you get oven safe “ice” molds- my friend actually used ice molds, and the silicone molds and they melted in her oven. I think that they were cheap, but they made an awful mess in her oven and smelled like burning plastic everytime she cooked for a while.

freeroll tournaments for us players March 22, 2013 at 1:10 am

Thoughts you, how can we communicate?

Heather October 24, 2013 at 6:46 am

I have been doing these for many years. The kids love them.
The teachers give me all their broken crayons throughout the year and I melt them down and return them. I use the candy molds, you can get all types of shapes and sizes this way. They are made for high temps so that helps. A lot of times I just pop them in the microwave. (For sure on molds that can not go in the oven!)