Pumpkin Party

by Amy on October 21, 2008

Pumpkin Party | Let's Explore

Natalie has an October birthday, and last year she wanted a Pumpkin Party. It was such a fun party, and so simple to put together, too!

Here’s a few highlights – maybe you can get some ideas to use at your own Halloween parties this year:

The pumpkin with flowers (pictured at top) was one of the decorations — I loved it! I am pretty sure I got this from Martha. :) Just drill holes all over the pumpkin and insert flowers.

I like to set up stations at birthday parties, so the kids have lots to keep them busy. One of the stations was mini pumpkin decorating. I put out paint, glitter glue, shaker bottles of glitter, sequins, and some yarn & ribbon. This is also a fun way for little ones to keep busy during pumpkin carving.

Pumpkin painting party station

pumpkin_party1

Another station was making a beaded pumpkin. I had the pipe cleaners already prepped — folded in half with a loop for the stem. The kids filled both “legs” with beads, leaving just a little pipe cleaner at the bottom. Then an adult helped them twist the two ends together and tuck them inside the beads. Then, they could shape them into a perfect pumpkin!

pumpkin_beads1

pumpkin_beads2

Instead of doing a pinata (Natalie doesn’t like the pressure!), we made everyone their own mini pumpkin pinatas to rip open. I used orange crepe paper from a party store and green florist tape. Start with a square of crepe paper — I think I doubled up and used two sheets. Put a few pieces of candy in the center, gather and twist the top, and wrap florist tape around for the stem. We passed these out and let the kids rip them open on the count of 3 to get their treats. Fun!

pumpkin_pinatas

Dessert was mini pumpkin pies and mini pumpkin muffins with frosting. Yum!

Pumpkin birthday treats

Happy playing and partying!

Astrid October 21, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Oh wow! What a fantastic birthday party! I love those little crepe party treats. So cute! What a fun theme for an autumn birthday. :)
Oh…I tried making pumpkin bars in the alphabet silicone pans- didn’t work (almost did). I did make shortbread in them and they turned out great! I’m having so much fun playing with them. Please let me know if you have any more recipes/ideas for them.

Daffodil October 21, 2008 at 1:04 pm

I love the crepe paper pumpkins. Your daughter is smart to prefer these fun things to a piñata! Only one kid gets to smash open a piñata — this way, EVERYBODY gets to release the treats!

Michelle October 21, 2008 at 1:21 pm

I love all your ideas! the crepe paper pumpkins are my favorite. My daughter’s birthday is coming up in January and I will have to borrow that idea (she is having a cinderella party…so pumpkins would work!)!!!

Mariah@Playful Learning October 21, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I love the flowers in the pumpkin! What a beautiful autumn activity…

Candice Owrey October 21, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Very neat ideas! Thanks for posting them.

Sunny October 21, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I love the crepe paper ‘pinatas’! My dd’s birthday is coming up next week and we have had pumpkin parties for the last couple of years complete with a pumpkin cake (she’ll be 5 this time). It’s always been fun. In addition to glitter and yarn, we’ve had pompoms and face-part stickers to use for decoration. This year, she asked for a princess party, but we’ll still have pumpkins to decorate (I agree with Michelle…there are pumpkins in Cinderella!).
Thanks for sharing!

Marie @ Make and Takes October 21, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Oh, I love every one of these ideas. What a Perfect Pumpkin Party. Those pipe wire beaded pumpkins and your own pinatas! Love it.

Xia October 22, 2008 at 4:34 am

I love he pumpkin with the flowers on it. It looks beautiful!

Beth October 22, 2008 at 6:57 am

Such cute ideas!! I am stopping by Michael’s today to pick up a few supplies!!

CC October 22, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Now I WISH my kids had October bdays!

Steph @ Problem Solvin Mom October 22, 2008 at 6:46 pm

I love these ideas! I’ll have to remember the mini pinata idea, my daughter’s birthday is near Easter, I could make little eggs for her birthday.
Thanks (again) for the inspiration!
Steph

Calypso October 24, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for these posts. One of our sitters did the second post with our three year old – he loved it.