Tissue Paper Vases

by Amy on September 22, 2009

Need a sweet and simple handmade gift?† We love re-purposing glass bottles and jars into lovely little vases.† All you need is Mod Podge (or watered-down white glue) and colored tissue paper.

Paint an area of your jar or bottle with the Mod Podge and start sticking on tissue paper pieces – you can cut or tear pieces ahead of time, if you like.† Put another coat of Mod Podge over the top of your tissue paper.

tissuepaper_vase1tissuepaper_vase2

Here are the vases, all smothered in Mod Podge and waiting to dry:

tissuepaper_vase3

And here they are, filled with sweet flowers and ready for Great-Grandma’s 91st birthday celebration!

tissuepaper_vase4

I love this type of project – toddlers and up can enjoy the process of creating these beautiful tissue paper vases.† Small jars decorated like this make excellent candle holders, too – the light shining through is lovely!

What else do you use glass jars for?† I have been saving them and have quite a collection now – I’d love some ideas! :)

Happy creating!

katy September 22, 2009 at 10:24 am

I love this! My girls would love this. Thanks for the great idea!

Lisa September 22, 2009 at 7:16 pm

This will make a great Brownie Mother’s Day craft.

Melissa A September 22, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Great idea! I may add this to our handmade Christmas gifts list for O’s grandmamas and aunts. Thanks!

Amy September 23, 2009 at 6:27 am

Oooh! I love these. How fun with kids!

Kristin September 23, 2009 at 2:40 pm

This is such a beautiful idea. :) I think I even have some of those bottles from Prima. My girls would love this! I could so see this with some orange, red, brown, and yellow paper on it, for fall. Just blogged today about what we have done so far to welcome in Autumn.

Shani September 23, 2009 at 9:28 pm

We also like to dip yarn in glue and wrap it around bottles as vase decoration… multiple colors of sand or salt is fun to layer inside, as well.

niki September 30, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I am so bookmarking this for use later this year! I am a preschooler teacher and these would make fab gifts for mommies and daddies!

PlanningQueen October 3, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Gorgeous idea Amy. I think my kids great grandmother might be receiving one of these soon!

Lenetta @ Nettacow October 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Love this! I linked to it on my weekly roundup – post is under my name. Thanks for sharing!

taly October 7, 2009 at 12:00 am

it,s wonderful , entresthng for kids thanks

Teri November 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm

To further use those glass jars, pour salt into a pie place and rub with sidewalk chalk. Pour the colored chalk into the jar, then color more salt with another color of chalk…layering until the jar is filled. Pour a layer of white glue to seal the chalk into the jar. You can also decorate the top with shells, beads, etc. before the glue dries. Add a ribbon around the top and tie into a bow. Cute shelf sitter.

Mary March 15, 2011 at 7:28 am

Great craft for nursing home (quick, easy, pretty)

Catherine March 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm

You are so creative. I am just amazed at all the simple beautiful activities you come up with. Thank you! It is a blessing.

Roz July 17, 2011 at 7:04 am

I use the glass jars of interesting shapes for a few different projects. First, I make colored salt projects. Using sidewalk chalk I have the kids color the salt, then pour them into the jars making rainbows and pretty designs. The only 2 rules are: never shake the jar and add some extra salt a few days later to make up for the compaction of the layers.
The second project is taking paper tape/masking and having the kids tear off around inch pieces and put them on the glass. They overlap them and when it’s covered, put shoe polish on and rub. It gives the appearance of leather.

cindy February 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

We are making these with our assisted living for Valentines Day with tissue pertaining to Valentines Day.

maya July 28, 2012 at 11:00 am

I am 11-years-old and I love your craft ideas! I cannot wait to start trying them. For summer I have copied down my favorite ways to play of each month to do in ONE month! I also would like to give you this website:

What you do is make ladybugs out of the jars and you can fundraise for the homeless at the same time!