Grocery Store Games

by Amy on February 2, 2010

Post image for Grocery Store Games

My girls are actually at an age where they can be really helpful at the grocery store, but I have not forgotten the days of needing ample entertainment to make it through the store!† When I Spy is getting old, maybe one of these games will be a welcome addition on your next shopping trip.

Grocery Store Bingo is fun for little ones.† I like to put our bingo board in a sheet protector and bring along a dry-erase marker for marking off the things we see.† Make a board with your child’s favorite foods, or print ours for a ready-to-go activity.

Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt takes a little bit of advanced prep, but it’s lots of fun!† Choose 10 or so items from your shopping list and write a clue for each one.† Make the clues appropriate for your child’s age – these can be read-aloud by you or an older sibling at the store, or provide great reading practice for a new reader.† Attach the clue sheet to a clipboard, grab a pencil, and your child is ready to not only solve clues, but help you shop as well.† My girls love doing this, and I am always happy I took an extra five-minutes to set it up.† Here are a few clues we’ve used as examples:

• Itís a leaf we can eat and it starts with S.† We need a whole bag of it.† Choose organic if you can. (spinach)
  • Itís made from milk, but it is not a liquid.† You can slice it, grate it, or melt it. (cheese)
  • It is full of calcium for strong bones.† You can drink it morning, noon, or night. (milk)
  • Each of these comes in two pieces, a top and a bottom.† We like to put things in the middle for a yummy lunch or dinner. (hamburger buns)

One more tip – write your clues in the general order of how you go through the store to make it easy on yourself!

How do you keep your kids busy and happy in the grocery store?

Happy Playing!

Michelle P February 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm

My daughter is always trying to help me look for things, but gets bored easily- Thanks for the tips and we will try this game!

dana February 3, 2010 at 4:15 am

my kids have always been pretty good at the store! sometimes i make a little list for my son with picture clues. our store gives free cookies, so that is always something to look forward to!

karen February 3, 2010 at 5:04 am

Great, thanks for posting this. My girls love the grocery store, this will be so helpful. I sometimes have them cut out pictures from grocery ads and glue them on a piece of paper. Then they use the paper to do their scavenger hunt. Thanks!

Michelle February 3, 2010 at 1:51 pm

My kids are really into making their own lists, so sometimes I give them small clipboards and we each make a list of what we need at the store. As we go through, I usually let them choose one thing from their list to get!

anne @ FloralShowers craft blog February 3, 2010 at 4:42 pm

this is such a cute idea. I am going to print one of these out to use next monday. I am so excited. cute and helpful blog =)

Megan February 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I dread shopping with my two boys. The two year old wats to hold my list the whole time, and the four year old get tired of walking and wants to sit in the back of the cart. I have already print the bingo to trade the two year old for my list, and I am definitely trying the Scavenger Hunt with my four year old. Thanks!

Rana February 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love the bingo idea. Our grocery store provide mini carts and my twins each get a cart and a list and the three of us go off together and fill our carts with our groceries. They help unload at the register and give the cashier the coupons and the money. It’s fun for them a little bit of work for me, but it’s worth it teaching them how to be good shoppers.

Amy July 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Love this idea. I will definitely try this out :)

Katie August 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Thanks for the handy printable! We shared it with our readers with credit and a link back here.

karen October 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I just linked you… Thanks. Karen
Sippy Cup Central Mom

zj March 20, 2011 at 9:14 pm

ilove the bingo idea love it