Fun With Dot Markers

by Amy on March 16, 2010

We have not painted with dot markers (bingo markers) since the girls were probably three and four years old. I remember them both loving them – bouncing the markers up and down to make dots, and sliding them around to make stripes and swirls. The dot markers aren’t terribly messy either, which is always nice for those days when you don’t feel like a big, messy production!

Do your kids like to play with these type of markers? I remember having the Do-A-Dot brand a while back, and some of the activity books they make. I recently bought a new set for us to play with – we tried the Tropical Chubbie Markers from Discount School Supply.

The three of us girls had a great time playing and experimenting with the dot markers! We tried some crayon resist with a white crayon:

Natalie and I also had a really fun time using the ideas in Ed Emberley’s Great Thumbprint Drawing Book to make little animals out of our dots. We carefully positioned our dots, waited a couple minutes for the paint to dry, then added details with a black marker. (Flair felt tip pens are the black drawing pen of choice in our house right now…)

I was happy to discover that my girls are not too old to enjoy creating with dot markers – and neither am I!

Here are a few fun resources, in case you feel the need to make dots!

I’m sure some of you have done some neat things with dot/bingo markers – please share!

Happy Playing!

dana March 16, 2010 at 3:21 am

that is a great idea for using dot markers! we will try it! my kids love the dot markers, too! but, i must say our creativity runs low with them!

Kati March 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

Fun! I love the drawings with the birds, bees and fish! So cute.

Pink and green mama marylea March 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

So fun ! now I have to dig out my ed emberly books!

Sarah N. March 17, 2010 at 2:56 am

I love these ideas. My girls would love making little animals with our set of what they call “dot dots”.

Rebecca at Toothwhale March 17, 2010 at 8:31 am

We have the Do-A-Dot markers and my kids (5 and 3) really enjoy using them. We’ll have to try the crayon resist –cool! Your daughter’s dot animals are SO cute.

Christy March 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm

We will have to try these! I have a 4 and 2 yr old who would have fun w/ this. Love your ideas!

Pumpkinbear March 18, 2010 at 5:37 am

We were just playing with the Do-A-Dot markers this morning! I like to set out some sort of activity that my girls can do independently at the big table in the morning, while I sit with them and read the newspaper and drink a mug of coffee in peace.

Sarah April 9, 2010 at 2:34 am

I love these! So bright and cheerful. Looks like fab fun for all ages!

sarah April 9, 2010 at 4:19 am

How fun! My boys, 23 months and 3 1/2 years love do a dot markers. There are lots of free printables at Make Learning Fun (http://www.makinglearningfun.com/index.html) that we like to use. We are going to try the crayon resist today!

Astrid April 10, 2010 at 4:22 am

We haven’t played with ours in a long time too. Thanks for the reminder! I think I’ll get them out soon! I love Ed Emberley.

birdycake April 10, 2010 at 8:04 am

Looks like you guys had great fun! How cute! We tried this last year ( http://happybirdycake.blogspot.com/2009/11/ed-emberley.html ) and my daughter loves those type of markers! great for little hands! and how could you not love Ed Emberley? we’ll have to try that crayon resist! ~birdycake

Shannon May 10, 2010 at 11:20 am

My little girl loves the bingo dotter markers. I recently made up a bunch of letter worksheets that can be used with them: