Back to Wonderland

by Amy on July 30, 2010

Thank you for all your kind words about Delaney’s Alice in Wonderland party!  Here are a few more details from the day, including our activities and party favors.

(If you missed the first post about our Wonderland party, check it out here!)

We had a variety of activities set-up outside for the kids to explore.  One area was the Mad Hatter’s Hat Shoppe, where you could decorate a paper top hat or a velvet art crown (or both!).  The stick-on gems were extremely popular…

There was Wonderland Tic-Tac-Toe, with pre-painted wood shapes from the craft store and sticky-back velcro.

The Caterpillar was busy blowing bubbles (with the help of a bubble machine from the summer clearance section at Target).

The Queen’s Royal Croquet Grounds were set-up with inflatable flamingos {from our local party store}, spiky balls with eyes acting as hedgehogs, and giant card wickets {4-pack posters from the casino section of the party store}.  Natalie wanted to be the Queen of Hearts, so I found her an inexpensive red and black dress on eBay and taped red foam hearts to her shoes and to a crown from our dress-up stash.

I dolled-up the drink containers and sandwiches with drink me signs and eat me toothpicks.

The party favors were these “color-me” doodly composition books {Target}, mechanical pencils, and candy sticks.

Other stuff I didn’t get pictures of:

Momeraths made with colored craft sticks, feathers, and googly eyes {Disney Family}

Edible Teacups made with ice cream cones {Disney Family}

We hid clues and had a White Rabbit hunt.  The kids loved this, and we surprised Delaney with the plush White Rabbit from the Disney Store.

I think this six-year-old was quite pleased with the whole affair…

Happy 6th Birthday, Delaney!

P.S. Read more about how we made our cardboard characters!

amandab July 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Ok … BIG mistake showing this to Miss Almost 4, now she wants to throw out the rainbow birthday plans she has been making for almost a year and wants THIS party.

Want to come over and organize it for me? :D

Looks like the BEST birthday party EVER!!

Tara July 31, 2010 at 4:00 am

The Queen of hearts looks fantastic!

Nicole July 31, 2010 at 6:32 am

I love your party ideas! I’ve been wanting to do a Mad Hatters Tea Party for my daughter’s 5th birthday, but now I’m thinking it has to be the whole Wonderland theme. I love the cardboard cutouts of all the characters. I have absolutely no artistic skills, so how would I go about making the characters? Any suggestions? It looks like the perfect party.

Jenn July 31, 2010 at 5:18 pm

This is amazing!! I am totally speechless…amazing is the only word, well done!!

shar August 1, 2010 at 6:34 am

What a lovely party. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ninotchka August 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm

How cute! I threw my teenager a more grown up version just last month. Great minds…. It’s a great theme with endless possibilities!

My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninotchkab/sets/72157624516101677/

Even better pictures (by my best friend): http://tracyallyn.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/11/painting-the-roses-red.html

Crystal August 21, 2012 at 5:38 am

I am having an Alice party for my 3 year old daughter this week. I love all of your ideas and have even used a few myself. So thank you! I do have a question about the giant playing cards. What did you use to keep them in the ground? I can’t tell in the picture. Again, this was a really cute party and I appreciate all of the wonderful ideas!

Natalie October 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This party looks incredible!
It’s my 21st birthday in 4 days and I am having a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party! I feel a bit immature considering all of these comments are about children! Oh well, it should be great fun.

Thank you for the great idea’s, you did a wonderful job