Baby Bear’s Bed

by Amy on October 14, 2010

Post image for Baby Bear’s Bed

I wanted to show you all the details for the Baby Bear beds we made for Natalie’s Goldilocks and the Three Bears party. Like I said before, I think these would be great handmade gifts for siblings, cousins, or friends. Any little animal or doll would be cozy in one of these beds!

We made the beds using these $1 wood crates from Michael’s craft store. We removed the handle and the top side slats. My husband cut one of the ends a bit shorter to make a foot board, but you don’t have to do that step. We gave the ends a little sanding to round over the edges, too.

To make legs, we added wood buttons to the bottom of each bed. We used wood glue to attach these.

We made mattresses, pillows, and blankets for each bed.

For the mattresses, I sewed three pieces of white felt together in four straight seams. I made my pieces larger than the bed, then trimmed to fit after sewing.

The pillows were made with felt and stuffed with a little bit of stuffing – cotton balls would work, too. Natalie wanted to sew the blankets herself – she is doing really well with the sewing machine!

The blankets are very simple – two pieces of flannel stitched right-sides together, leaving an opening on one of the long sides for turning. We worked together to turn all the blankets right-side out, then I did the top stitching to close the hole. Need a no-sew option? Just cut rectangles of fleece or felt for blankets. No sewing or hemming necessary!

That’s it! Cozy, little beds ready for Baby Bear. From what I hear, these little bears and beds are getting a lot of playtime at our friends’ houses!

For more Three Bears fun:

Goldilocks and the Three Bears Invitations

Goldilocks and the Three Bears Party

Goldilocks and the Three Bears – Activities & Crafts

Michelle October 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

These are super, super cute! Love all the creative energy you have! The 3 bears activities and crafts were all adorable!

Erica October 14, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Okay, that’s just way too cute! My dd would LOVE these!

Jennifer October 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm

These are adorable!!! I love them and it is clear your kiddos do too. So cute~
Jennifer

Mae October 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Where did you find the little bears? My daughter would love this!!

Amy October 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

The bears are from Toys R Us – they are FAO Schwartz key chain bears that I found on a big display near the front of our store. I just cut the key chain part off. :)

Nicole M. October 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

Everything about this party was truly amazing. You guys are so creative!

tango October 30, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Very cute and very creative….and coming soon to our house! My daughters love to tuck all of their gazillion dolls and animal friends into their own “beds”: doll beds, of course, but also any boxes, Easter baskets, buckets, bowls, pots, Mom and Dad’s shoes/slippers/sandals, toy cars, chair arms, and so on. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

katherinemarie October 31, 2010 at 5:13 pm

So PRECIOUS!!!

Shalise November 1, 2010 at 8:49 am

Ok, I saw the beds!! Now, where did you get your bears? What size were they?

tango November 16, 2010 at 8:04 am

I prepped the beds for my daughters, so all they need to do is paint/decorate them. (I skipped cutting down the footboard) Oh no, silly Mom. Those aren’t doll beds, you’ve got them upside down. They’re tables. We need another coin so the 9 sisters all have plates. The queen is helping everyone with their food. More chocolate fudge Pop-tart morsels anyone?

Thank you again! My girls love them.

kelly May 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thank you for such a cute idea! You can also find tiny bears for $1.99 at sunshinecrafts.com.