Hello, December! My girls are more-than-ready to kick-off our activity advent calendar today. This year, my plan is to take a photo of each day’s activity and make a little photo book for the girls. I think it will be a nice way to capture our holiday traditions!
Here are some of our favorite countdown-to-Christmas activities – some old favorites, some new to us this year:
- Take a drive to look at Christmas lights
- Make Holiday Pretzel Treats
- Decorate our own Christmas shirts (probably using freezer paper stencils)
- Write a letter to Santa
- Buy and donate groceries
- Make a picture with Christmas stickers
- Take a night walk
- Make treats for the birds
- Make ice lanterns
- Scavenger hunt for a new Christmas book
- Bake Reindeer Cookies
- Decorate our windows with paper snowflakes
- Make homemade gingerbread playdough with glitter
- Make paper bag gingerbread garlands
- Take silly pictures with Santa hats, candy canes, and other Christmas props
- Videotape ourselves singing Christmas carols
We have a little wooden advent house with 25 doors where I tuck each day’s activity note and a treat. There are so many adorable homemade advent calendars – Crafty Crow had a nice round-up a few days ago. Even if you don’t have an advent calendar ready to go, you could write an activity on a white board each day or leave a note on the table to be read over breakfast.
Do you do an activity-type advent calendar? What are your family’s favorite countdown-to-Christmas activities?