Playful Picks (May 2, 2011)

by Amy on May 2, 2011

Post image for Playful Picks (May 2, 2011)

Quote of the Week

The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless. {Jean-Jacques Rousseau}

Fun Activities & Projects

Triptych Art Project :: angry chicken

Homemade Paint Brushes & Texture Tools :: Pink and Green Mama

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls :: this homemade life

Kids Art: Threading Mobiles :: Childhood 101

stick + drill = threading game :: Mini-Eco

What We’re Reading

On our last trip to the library, we picked up a couple of fun activity books.

Delaney has an interest in all-things nature, including bugs. She has been loving Insectigations: 40 Hands-On Activities to Explore the Insect World. This book is filled with games, experiments, art projects, and interesting facts about insects. I have a feeling we’ll be learning a lot about insects this spring!

You can find more insect book recommendations in our May Book List, too.

The other activity book that has been a big hit is Making Music. The description on the cover reads, “From tambourines to rainsticks to dandelion trumpets, walnut castanets to shepherd’s pipes to an abundance of homemade drums, here is a joyful, quirky assortment of good sounds from found objects.”

There are some really unique ideas in this book, such as a paper orchestra filled with ripping, tearing, crumpling, etc. Paired with delightful sketched illustrations, Making Music is a wonderful kid-friendly musical resource!

See you back here tomorrow with my

Ways to Play in May free download!

se7en May 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Cool Post!!! And love the look of the bug book you are reading!!!

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Thanks! The bug book is neat! :)

Sheila May 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for the book suggestion!

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

You’re welcome! :)

Christie-Childhood 101 May 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thank you for including our mobiles on your list, they proudly hang outside my daughter’s cubby house and we love watching the patterns made on the lawn when the sun shines on them.

And the Insectigations book sounds marvellous :)

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Christie – My girls and I love the mobiles! We’re going to make some to hang from their play structure in the backyard. And, the Insectigations books is super cool… :)

Laura Bass May 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the Insectigations: 40 Hands-On Activities to Explore the Insect World book. I am actually about to start an insect unit with my kids and this is perfect and you shared this in enough time for me to finalize my amazon order, lol.

I also have been wanting to comment for awhile with a Thank you! I am a public school kindergarten teacher and you have helped me with many ideas. I wish public school could do more like the homeschool parents do. Also I dont mean this to insult anyone but I am so happy to meet a homeschool parent that really teaches. I know there are many out there but I have only ever seen the negative homeschooling so thank you for showing homeschool is a great way to learn. I actually considering when I have my own child home-schooling. :) anyways thank you for everything you share.

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the comment! We are probably going to add the Insectigations book to our collection, too. It has a lot of fun stuff in it!

I feel *very* lucky to be home learning with my girls. :)