Toy Story Party!

by Amy on August 7, 2011

Toy Story Birthday Party

Delaney and her friends had a super-fun time at her Toy Story party. I finally had some time to sort through all the photos I took so I can share some of our party fun with you. Enjoy!

Decorations

We kept the decorations pretty simple. Delaney made a banner with construction paper and Toy Story coloring pages.

We hung giant punch balloons over the dining room table, which looked amazing! And, of course, Delaney’s various Toy Story toys were scattered around the house.

Menu

I made some Etch-a-Sketch labels for the food and the girls and I had a great time coming up with Toy Story names for everything! We had a pack of Toy Story chipboard accents from the scrapbooking store to add a little pizzazz, too. Here’s what the kiddos ate:

• Pizza Planet Mini Pizzas
  • To Infinity and Beyond Fruit Rockets
  • Slinky Dog Curly Fries
  • Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head Smiles (happy face fries)
  • Ooohhh….Mystic Portal Popcorn (french fry box pattern)
  • Woody’s Best Water in the West
  • Jessie’s Jumpin’ Juice

Dessert

I showed Delaney the make-your-own Mr. Potato Head cupcakes idea from How Does She… and she was sold on having those for dessert. The kids had a blast making their faces and it was a super-simple dessert for me to prepare. We did vanilla/vanilla cupcakes and laid them on their sides with blue foam “shoes”.

For the candy faces, we used:

• Eyes – candy eyes made by Wilton
  • Nose – choice of Gorilla Munch cereal or small orange fruit slice
  • Ears – small red fruit slices
  • Mouth – red and pink gummy Life Savers (whole & cut in half)
  • Mustache + eyebrows – Chocolate Twizzlers
  • Hat – choice of Rolo or mini Peanut Butter Cup

Photo Booth

The kids absolutely loved the Toy Story photo booth! Thanks to the party photos at Catch My Party and three pugs & a baby for inspiration.

I made most of the props from double layers of colored cardstock, attached to sticks with packing tape. Our props included:

• Foam cowboy hat
  • Woody’s vest + sheriff badge (homemade)
  • Mr. Potato Head nose & mustache
  • Mrs. Potato Head lips
  • Alien eyes
  • Bo Peep bonnet
  • Buzz Lightyear helmet
  • Etch-a-Sketch frame (photo mat painted red with white lids for the handles)
  • Speech bubbles: To infinity and beyond!, There’s a snake in my boot!, and Yee-Haw!
  • Cloud fabric background

I kept the photo booth “closed” for part of the party, otherwise I would have been taking the kids’ photos the entire time. So much fun! We’re planning to print the best photos to include in the thank-you notes.

I’ll share the rest of our Toy Story activities and games in a separate post soon!

Qing @ Coolest-Party-Ideas August 8, 2011 at 2:49 am

WOW! I totally fell in love with this party. LOVE Mr. Potato Head cupcakes so cute!!!

Terri August 8, 2011 at 6:19 am

What a great idea for a party!! This looks like tons of fun!

LIZ August 15, 2011 at 8:16 am

LOVE the photobooth!!!! too cute!

Jessica December 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm

This party looks like so much fun! Too cute! :)

Christina December 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

Oh my goodness, I want to come to your girls’ birthday parties! :) I’m expecting my first child in May, and I’m already getting excited for birthday parties down the road. You are so ridiculously creative…thanks for all of the wonderful ideas on this website!

Savannah January 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This is such a cute party theme! One of the best I’ve ever seen (little biased, considering that’s one of my childhood favorite movies). Love it!

Tiffany March 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

How cute! We are doing a toy story party for my son next week. We are doing the photos. How did you get all the props? Is there a website I can print them? We have the hat and vest.

Amy March 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

Hi Tiffany,

I made the props with colored card stock. They were all pretty simple to make – Buzz’s helmet was the trickiest. I made the speech bubbles on my computer and just printed and cut out. The Etch-a-Sketch is a photo mat painted red, with white lids glued on for the handles.

Hope that helps – have a wonderful party!

Tiffany March 3, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Amy,

Thank you. You are so much more creative than I am. I got the stuff to make the etch-a-sketch. I am working on the speech bubbles tonight. I saw Buzz and alien on another website and you could buy them and print them, but yours are way cuter! I will attempt to make them :) Thanks for the idea. I LOVE your blog.

Sharyn Thompson March 18, 2012 at 5:58 am

Hi….what were the dimensions of the etch a sketch? I love it!

Amy March 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

I think I used a 16″x20″ photo mat for the Etch a Sketch prop – hope that helps!

Rosy May 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Brilliant!!! I am not very good at crafts but with some help I will try to pull off the photo booth idea!!! Thank you!!!!

lady anne June 2, 2012 at 1:58 am

oh my god! everything here is perfect! Thanks to you.. I guess I copy all the stuffs here for my son’s 3rd birthday party next month and Im so excited. thank u again..

Laura June 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hi, love this party!! I am using many if your ideas for my sons party. Where did you find the cloud fabric for the backdrop? I have had a hard time finding anything like it?? Thanks!

Amy June 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hi Laura – I found the cloud fabric at Joann’s. It’s flannel, and it may have been with the baby fabrics. You could try searching on Etsy or eBay, too. Hope you find something!

Desiree June 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

How do i make the food labels?

Elle July 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Hi, great party!! What font did you use for the “etch a sketch” frame. That is just too cute.

Amy July 24, 2012 at 7:49 am

Are you talking about the Etch a Sketch prop for the photo booth? I just looked at a real Etch a Sketch and did my best to copy the logo with gold paint.

On the Etch a Sketch food labels, the font is Maiden Orange.

Hope that answers your question! :)

Lucia July 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Hi I was wondering where I could find the etch a sketch labels any help would be greatly appreciated we are throwing our youngest a toy story bday party and those are very cute!

Mariela July 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I’m planning a 4 year old birthday party and I love your etch- a- sketch food labels. I’m not at all creative and cannot figure out how you made them. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Josie September 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hello! where did you get the cloud background?

Amy September 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hi Josie – The cloud background is flannel fabric from Joann’s. Hope that helps!

Laura September 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Omg!!!! I love love love your photo booth!! I’m hoping to throw my son a toy story themed bday party and I am sooooo glad I found this. Thanks for sharing! Have some shopping to do ;)

Amy October 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

We got the *best* photos using the props at our party – hope yours turns out awesome! :)

Samantha January 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm

How did you make the food labels?

Chetan Tolia January 13, 2013 at 2:38 am

wow…. so much creative :) u rock !!!

marina March 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

where did you get the material for the etch a sketch?

Amy March 14, 2013 at 7:23 am

Hi Marina – The etch-a-sketch was made from a photo mat, painted with glossy red, and two white lids from sprinkle containers. I just hot-glued them on. Hope that helps!

Carmen June 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Hi did u free hand the title of the etch a sketch logo?? And where did you find the cloud fabric? I have gone to two diff places and have had no luck :(

Amy June 7, 2013 at 7:00 am

Hi Carmen – Yes, I just free handed the Etch-a-Sketch logo with pencil, then painted over it with gold paint. The cloud fabric is a flannel that I found at Joann’s – of course it’s been a few years ago now! Try looking in the baby fabric section maybe?