Some Quiet and Some Inspiration

by Amy on May 9, 2012

Post image for Some Quiet and Some Inspiration

My writing voice has been quiet lately. There’s been much less time spent at the computer, and more time spent just being and enjoying the moment. Saying yes to smoothie-making and library trips and movie nights and Blokus tournaments. Parenting and blogging about parenting is a delicate balance for sure.

I’ve learned to knit baby hats, which get donated to a local hospital for the new babies. I’m finding the knitting to be so relaxing, and rather addicting, too. The girls want to learn now, so we’ve been practicing together.

We’ve been doing some rearranging and organizing around the house. The girls have been asking to share a bedroom and make their other room a playroom. A new IKEA bunk bed has joined us, and we’re ready to do some fresh decorating. After we tuck them in each night, they whisper and giggle before settling in. Best friends, for sure.

I am reading and reading and reading. I love to read, but I don’t always make the time. I’ve read The Tail of Emily Windsnap with Natalie, and I’m enjoying Divergent along with my 13-year-old niece. For myself, it’s been The Language of Flowers, A Vintage Affair, and The House at Riverton. I’m starting The American Heiress today, and the girls and I are digging into James and the Giant Peach. Good, good stuff.

I want to leave you with a few blogs I’ve been enjoying lately, too – a little mindful parenting inspiration and encouragement:

Awesomely Awake :: I have been savoring every post Shawn writes – mindful parenting, encouragement, and playful inspiration. I do a lot of nodding when I read her posts.

Mama Scout :: Check out Amy’s Monday Missions for simple and fun ways to connect with your kids. 100 creative kickstarters for families is pretty awesome, too.

Clean :: Rachel has been sharing some amazing posts on peaceful parenting.

Zen Habits :: I’m a long-time reader of Leo’s blog. Here are a few posts that resonated with me recently: What I’ve Learned About Learning, The Way of the Peaceful Parent, and 9 Essential Skills Kids Should Learn

How about you? How are you spending your time lately? What’s bringing you inspiration? I’d love to hear about it.

Shawn May 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Honored to be included in this list and on your site!! You know I am a long-time reader of yours. Quiet is so good. I see so many parent bloggers posting daily or near-daily and I shake my head, wondering how they do it and stay “awake.” Thank you for getting my messages and thank you so much for reading. I can’t wait to check out the others. I’m a huge fan of Leo’s as well. And, well, MamaScout just rocks. : )

Amy May 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

Every time you post a new weekly intention, it’s like you’re reading my mind! Keep up the inspiring writing. :)

JoannaTopazT May 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

We are spending our time wrapping up end-of-the-school year activities with things like parties (for church choir) and dance recitals, and planning for summer — including planning a June birthday party, using some of your previous suggestions for stations. Love the link to the 100 kickstarters. We’ll be making our “summer list” of things to do/places to go/things to learn in the next couple of weeks. (Previous years’ requests have included “4 picnics” and “learn to do cartwheels.”)

Amy May 14, 2012 at 8:29 am

Ah, yes! It’s time to make a summer wish list, isn’t it? I love the examples you gave from your list – kids are so great at finding magic in simple pleasures. Wishing you a happy transition from spring to summer!

Jocelyne May 11, 2012 at 6:13 am

Loved reading this, simple as it was. I am gearing up for a summer unplugged for myself. If I am plugged in I want it to be with my kids. I think I will be limiting my on-line time to working on stuff that benefits my family – meal planning, going through photos and putting them into books, writing down the stories I want to remember, small details for our upcoming travels, etc.

Balance. And rhythm. That is what I am trying to find.

Amy May 14, 2012 at 8:27 am

Hi, Jocelyne! Thanks for sharing your intentions for the summer. I definitely hear you on seeking balance, especially with the pull of the internet. I’m also finding myself stepping away a lot and trying to be efficient when I’m on the computer. Doesn’t always happen, but it’s good to keep trying.

amy (mamascout) May 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing my ideas. And so many other great ideas too. I am humbled by the amount of amazing inspiration and knowledge I glean from great blogs about living quietly with children. I have been trying to carve out 2-3 day stretches with no appointments or real reasons to leave – that seems to be where all the magic is!

Amy May 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

I agree – the days with no agendas or plans always seem to have magical moments and surprises. :)

{ 1 trackback }