Even though it has felt like summer for a while, we’re getting ready to officially welcome summer this Wednesday. We love to celebrate the summer solstice with some sunny crafts, snacks, and stories. Here are a few things we would like to do this week:
1. Play with paint and make sunshine monoprints :: my project at Make and Takes (pictured above)
2. Create a welcome summer sidewalk or driveway mural with homemade sidewalk chalk paint :: Positively Splendid
3. Make fresh lemonade or try watermelon lemonade slushies :: Half Baked
4. Cook s’mores in a pizza box solar oven :: Family Fun
5. Make a paper plate sundial :: National Wildlife Federation
6. Plant sunflower seeds in pots or around the yard.
7. Weave a giant sun :: Twig and Toadstool
8. Make sun prints with construction paper :: Parents Magazine
9. Craft a felt and ribbon sun wand :: The Magic Onions
10. Sit outside in pajamas and watch the sunset.
Our June Book List includes some of our favorite summer books, plus we’ll head to the library to see what other sunny books we can find.
And, here’s the post of what we did last year, including our mixed media sunshines, a fun sunny song playlist, and yummy (and simple!) sunshine cookies.
Do you have anything special planned to celebrate the first day of summer? Wishing you lots of happy summer play!