Over the summer, this (not so) little girl turned nine. How did she get so grown-up? Her last single-digit year!
We celebrated with dinner out and a family get-together for dessert, followed the next day by a trip to a nearby lake. Delaney’s favorite animal is a pig, so we made some adorable piggy birthday cupcakes. The girls had a blast decorating them!
Our inspiration came from the blog, Emily’s Little World. We used pink wafer cookies for the ears, mini chocolate chips for the eyes, and strawberry marshmallows for the nose (cut in half). I also added 2 little dots of pink frosting on the nose for nostrils. They turned out so cute!
So far, nine seems to be treating Delaney very well. She is confident, patient, generous, and has a great sense of humor. Here are nine things she’s loving at age 9:
1. Reading – Delaney is definitely a bookworm! This summer she read all 5 books in Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, and she’s finished the first two books in his Heroes of Olympus series as well.
2. Horses – Many of her birthday gifts this year were centered around horses – money for a riding lesson, cowgirl boots, and a bunch of Playmobil Country.
3. Making movies – The girls have taught themselves how to use iMovie on our iPad and they have made some pretty awesome trailers and movies!
5. Playing piano and guitar – She rarely needs a reminder to practice, and tackles new skills and songs with such patience.
6. Bike riding – Delaney worked up the courage to take-off the training wheels, and now she’s a full-fledged 2-wheel rider!
7. Geography – Whether it’s memorizing state capitals, playing Stack the States and Stack the Countries on the iPad, or burying her nose in an atlas, this girl loves to teach herself about the world.
8. Inventing – I’m always amazed at what she can make with paper and tape.
She is also really, really excited about becoming a big sister in a few weeks. We know she’ll be an amazing one!